Serving Clients Nationwide
Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

Charleston Immigration Attorney Explains the Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

If a foreign born child is in the U.S. illegally and is under the age of 21, and unable to reunite with its parents, the child can consider a Special Immigrant Juvenile Status. This course of action involves self-petitioning to the USCIS for adjustment of status to permanent residency (green card) without having to first leave the U.S. Generally, this status is for unmarried children who have been:

  • Abused
  • Abandoned, or
  • Neglected

By getting this green card, the child is barred from ever petitioning for his or her parents to get a green card or for his or her siblings until he or she becomes a U.S. citizen.

More About Special Immigrant Juvenile Status Eligibility

As a prerequisite, the child must have a state court order declaring the child a dependent of the court, and must be legally placed in a state agency, orphanage or in the legal custody of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Furthermore, the child cannot be inadmissible to the U.S. on the grounds of being or having been a prostitute or pimp, drug addict or abuser, alien smuggler or a risk to people or property because of mental or physical disorder. However, there are exceptions. If you believe that you may qualify for special immigrant juvenile status, contact us at Charleston USA Immigration Law Center, LLP to discuss your situation and learn whether this is the most suitable immigration route for you.

A Future You Deserve

Contact Us Today!
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.