Serving Clients Nationwide: Toll Free 
F-1 Visa, Foreign Students Studying in the U.S.

F-1 Visa, Foreign Student Studying in the U.S.

The F student visa allows foreigners to enter the U. S. solely for the purpose to study, as a full time student only, at an accredited;

  1. College,
  2. University,
  3. Seminary,
  4. Conservatory,
  5. Academic High School, if student reimburses the school, for a maximum attendance of 1 year, but not public adult education,
  6. Elementary School, or in a
  7. Language Training Program,

for a term up to the full academic program or 60 months, plus all available Practical Training, whether Curricular, Optional or STEM Optional. Transfer to another approved school is permitted. The student can arrive in the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before commencement of the program and must depart within 60 days after it is over.

If desirous of U.S. entry prior to this time an additional B-2 visitor visa will be necessary to be procured with notification of "Prospective Student" on it. Intent to depart upon completion must be demonstrated and can be illustrated by; family relationships, foreign community ties, foreign property & economic interests and foreign employment prospects.

The F student must intend to depart after the studies are completed, know English & where necessary demonstrate English proficiency by successfully passing a TOEFL examination and have sufficient funds to support itself while in the U.S. The student's family can provide a USCIS Form I-131, Affidavit of Support, when necessary.

Submission Process

Processing of the F-1 visa requires the online filing of Form DS-160, a printed confirmation page, the SEVIS school generated Certificate of Eligibility, I-20, proof of payment of the SEVIS fee using form I-901, the necessary accompanying documentation, a passport valid for 6 months beyond the extended U.S. stay, a visa fee of $140 payable during Consular Processing and an Application fee based upon the Reciprocity Fee of the home country.

If already in the U.S. under another visa type, the foreigner can elect to Change Status to F-1 visa. A USCIS Form I-579, Certificate of Eligibility, I-20, appropriate documents, copy of the I-94, a filing fee of $290, an attorney G-28 and a G-1145 for electronic notification should complete the task. It is important to realize that vacating the U.S. during this Change of Status process will void the F-1 visa application.

A Future You Deserve

Contact Us Today!
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.